Phase 3 – COVID 19 Plan
Saint Michael Catholic School
Accredited by VCEA
7401-A St. Michael Lane
Annandale, VA 22003
Principal: Annie Fernandez
Covid-19 Task Force
Father Alexander Drummond, Pastor
Annie Fernandez, Principal (Point of Contact)
Roni Jarvis, School Nurse (Point of Contact)
Pamela Jennison, Preschool Director
Vic Gallerano, Teacher
Yolanda Acevedo, Teacher
Ray Christian, Facility Manager
This is an evolving plan and can change at any time.
This Phase III Saint Michael Reentry Document is intended to serve as a guide to reopen school in the Fall that aligns with CDC guidelines, Fairfax County Health Department guidelines and Office of Catholic Schools, Diocese of Arlington guidelines for in-person instruction.
Our plan is to offer 100% in-person instruction Monday through Friday. It is based on our commitment to:
- Ensuring that our students, staff and faculty can safely return to school by following all the recommended guidelines by CDC, Fairfax County Health Department, and the Virginia Health Department.
- Continue to offer our spiritual and academic program.
- Continue to maintain effective and regular communication with our school community.
Safety Measures and Precautions
- Professional cleaning and disinfecting company will be hired to deep clean the facility every day
- Frequently touched surfaces (e.g., playground equipment, door handles, sink handles, drinking fountains) will be cleaned and disinfected within the school at least daily or between use as much as possible
- No student use items will be shared. (pencils, crayons, etc.)
- Each student’s belongings will be separated from others and will be placed in individually labeled containers, cubbies, or other areas.
- Ensure ventilation systems operate properly and increase circulation of outdoor air as much as possible, for example by opening windows and doors.
- All water systems and features (e.g., sink faucets, drinking fountains) will be checked to ensure that they are safe to use.
- Staff and students will be encouraged to bring their own water bottles to minimize use and touching of water fountains.
- Additional touchless water bottle filling stations will be installed and will be cleaned and sanitized every day.
- Every staff member will receive ample cleaning supplies for their individual classrooms.
- Touchless hand sanitizer dispensers will be installed in easy to access locations in the building.
- All employees and students will be required to wear cloth face coverings or face shields when 6 feet of social distancing is not possible.
- The school will provide an adequate supply of healthy hygiene supplies including soap, hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol (for staff and older children who can safely use hand sanitizer), paper towels, tissues, disinfectant wipes, etc.
Social Distancing/Modified Layout
- Seating/desks will be spaced at least 6 feet apart.
- Desks will face in the same direction.
- Students will bring their own food and drinks along with silverware and will eat in the classrooms.
- Students will stay in the same classroom for the whole day with the exception of recess, P.E. and Advanced Math
- Advanced Math classroom will be cleaned and sanitized after every use.
- One class at a time will be allowed to go for recess with designated space.
- Stickers and decals will be placed inside and outside the building to help teachers and parents maintain 6 feet of distance and practice safe covid-19 practices when moving around.
- Physical barriers, such as plexiglass screens and partitions, particularly in areas where it is difficult for individuals to remain at least 6 feet apart (e.g., reception desks) will be installed.
- Playground will be off limits to the students until all clear is announced by the CDC and local health department
- Virtual school-wide events, gatherings, or meetings will be pursued when needed and social distancing will be practiced of at least 6 feet between people, if events are held.
- Cleaning Resources for staff, students and families specific to new COVID-19 mitigations strategies will be made available.
- In case of outbreaks, positive cases detected at school, and any school closures, all teachers and parents will be contacted via email and emergency phone system.
- Saint Michael will follow the following CDC guidelines to help inform when employees or students can return to work/school, if they have been sick with COVID-19 and/or if they recently had close contact with a person with COVID-19.
- Signs will be posted in highly visible locations (e.g., school entrances, restrooms) that promote everyday protective measures and describe how to stop the spread of germs.
- Regular announcements will be broadcasted on reducing the spread of COVID-19 on PA systems.
- Messages about behaviors that prevent the spread of COVID-19 will be consistently provided when communicating with staff and families (such as on school websites, in emails, and on school social media accounts).
- Staff, families and the parish will be notified of school closures and any restrictions in place to limit COVID-19 exposure (e.g., limited hours of operation).
- Non-essential visitors will not be allowed in the building.
- Students will be given the flexibility to access online instruction, if not comfortable with in-person instruction.
- All emails and phone calls from employees and school families, regarding illness absences will be documented and list illness symptoms.
- Daily health checks (e.g., temperature screening and/or symptom checking) of staff and students will be conducted before entry into the building.
- There will be a separate isolation room for students and staff with COVID-19 symptoms. School nurse will use Standard and Transmission-Based Precautions when caring for sick people.
- In accordance with state and local laws and regulations, school administrators will notify local health officials, staff, and families immediately of any case of COVID-19 while maintaining confidentiality in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.